Latest Updates:
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Topic Tools
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Najdorf player meet Closed Sicilian (Read 13923 times)
parisestmagique

I Love ChessPublishing!

Re: Najdorf player meet Closed Sicilian
Reply #7 - 09/25/07 at 08:34:21
Post Tools
I have this 2.Nc3! problem as well ! I now play 1.e4 c5 2.Nc3 g6 but only because i play now the Dragon ! For a Najdorf player it's quite a challenge. I tried also 1.e4 c5 2.Nc3 a6 but a strong Russian IM played 3.g3 with a closed sicilian with a early e5 and explained me after that a6 was not precise ... I was not convinced because i had an easy equality but he is the Master (and won the game) !

IP Logged

Bibs
YaBB Moderator

Reply #6 - 09/25/07 at 08:16:41
Post Tools
Perhaps exi means a bad Grand Prix attack.

Considered less favourable in many quarters than without 2...d6.

Exi:

Get copy of Palliser's anti-anti-sicilian book. Enough in there for you.

IP Logged

zoo
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 09/25/07 at 08:08:59
Post Tools
How can you get an "inferior Closed Sicilian" after 1. e4 c5 2. Nc3 d6 ? for once, you can play the standard setup with d6-e6(e5)-g6-Bg7-Nc6-Nge7. And after Nge2 Nf6, perhaps it's White who gets an inferior Closed Sicilian if she insists on g3-d3.
As for f4-Bc4, you don't have the straightforward ...e6-d5 but still this shouldn't scare a Najdorf player.
And finally, if you play 1. e4 c5 2. Nc3 Nc6, you can say goodbye to Najdorf after 3. Nf3, so 2...d6 is perhaps best for you.
Also, as a najdorf player you shouldn't fear to play ...g6-Bg7 if White plays slowly in the opening.

IP Logged

exigentsky

Q

Reply #4 - 09/25/07 at 06:58:12
Post Tools
Batz wrote on 04/02/07 at 11:57:28:
I play Sicilian Najdorf with Black, and when White open with Closed Sicilian 1. e4 c5 2. Nc3 I must answer with 2...d6 because if I play 2...Nc6 there is a possible transposition to Open sicilian 3. Nge2 -- 4. d4 , where my knight on c6 is misplaced.
So if I play 2...d6 there is a good transposition to Grand Prix Attak deferred 3.f4, and there I don't like d6 because I need one more time for put in near future my d-pawn in d5.
What can I do? It's better to play 2...Nc6 where where the risk to transposition to the open sicilian is minous probably but the variation that arise make me in trouble, or is better to play 2...d6 where the risk to transposition to Grand Pirx attack is more probably but the variation is not very bad for black? And also with 2...Nc6 there is another variation that I must study: 1. e4 c5 2. Nc3 Nc6 3. Ab5, where the 1. e4 c5 2. Nc3 d6 3. Ab5+ it's just in my black reperotire.
There is samething news about 1. e4 c5 2. Nc3 d6 in anti-sicilian section? If yes I will subscribe.
Sorry for my bad english, I'm italian.

Having decided on the Najdorf myself, I'm constantly annoyed by 2. Nc3. 3. Nge2 or Nf3 would just transpose to the Open Sicilian and I would be out of my Najdorf. On the other hand, if I play d6, I get an inferior Closed Sicilian or Grand Prix Attack. I'm considering simply playing 2. g6 because it is unlikely that my opponent would play 2. Nc3 if he wanted the Open Sicilian and I know how to play if he does (although the positions won't be as good as the Najdorf ones). What do you think of this?

IP Logged

woofwoof
God Member

chess is like life

Reply #3 - 04/02/07 at 16:18:06
Post Tools
hicetnunc wrote on 04/02/07 at 14:00:45:
You'll probably find even better ideas if you subscribe, especially the explanation of the 2.Nc3 a6!? idea which suits Najdorf players very well  Cool

There was some discussion on this here:http://www.chesspub.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1164488947/0

"I don't make mistakes. I make prophecies which immediately turn out to be wrong." - Murray Walker

IP Logged

hicetnunc

"Do something scary every
day"

Reply #2 - 04/02/07 at 14:00:45
Post Tools
You'll probably find even better ideas if you subscribe, especially the explanation of the 2.Nc3 a6!? idea which suits Najdorf players very well  Cool

48 yo, 1920 elo

IP Logged

zoo
Ex Member

Reply #1 - 04/02/07 at 14:00:20
Post Tools
Well, anti-sicilians have grown up to mainlines nowadays, as a najdorf player you must be ready to face systems with Bb5, Dxd4, grand prix attacks and so on...
Maybe you can duck GPA with 1. e4 c5 2. Nc3 a6 (compare with 1. e4 c5 2. Nf3 a6 where 3. c3 or 3. c4 are promising for White), but you can take the bull by the horns and play against GPA with 2... d6, it is no more dangerous for Black than Najdorf mainlines and there are great books on this topic such as Rogozenko's Beating the anti-sicilians.

IP Logged

Batz
YaBB Newbies

Najdorf player meet Closed Sicilian
04/02/07 at 11:57:28
Post Tools
I play Sicilian Najdorf with Black, and when White open with Closed Sicilian 1. e4 c5 2. Nc3 I must answer with 2...d6 because if I play 2...Nc6 there is a possible transposition to Open sicilian 3. Nge2 -- 4. d4 , where my knight on c6 is misplaced.
So if I play 2...d6 there is a good transposition to Grand Prix Attak deferred 3.f4, and there I don't like d6 because I need one more time for put in near future my d-pawn in d5.
What can I do? It's better to play 2...Nc6 where where the risk to transposition to the open sicilian is minous probably but the variation that arise make me in trouble, or is better to play 2...d6 where the risk to transposition to Grand Pirx attack is more probably but the variation is not very bad for black? And also with 2...Nc6 there is another variation that I must study: 1. e4 c5 2. Nc3 Nc6 3. Ab5, where the 1. e4 c5 2. Nc3 d6 3. Ab5+ it's just in my black reperotire.
There is samething news about 1. e4 c5 2. Nc3 d6 in anti-sicilian section? If yes I will subscribe.
Sorry for my bad english, I'm italian.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Topic Tools
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo